For Immediate Release: April 5, 2021Contact: Anthony York Anthonyyork1@gmail.com

In Case You Missed It: Housing affordability a major issue for Californians – many considering moving out of state

New polling from the Public Policy Institute of California shows that an overwhelming majority of Californians are concerned about housing affordability in the state.

Nine out of ten Californians say housing affordability continues to be a problem in their part of the state, and nearly half of Californians say that housing costs are making them seriously consider moving, according to a new statewide poll from the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC).

These results illustrate the dire state of housing in California – an issue that impacts everyone, but particularly affects historically disadvantaged groups. According to the survey, nearly 70 percent of African Americans cite housing affordability as a big problem, along with 54 percent of Latinos.

With nearly all Californians concerned about housing affordability and the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to impact jobs and wages, local governments should consider the supply of affordable homes available in their communities.

But throughout California, local communities are blocking efforts to help the state meet the housing needs for all Californians. In the Northern California city of Fairfield, local officials are blocking efforts to make more than 300 units of affordable housing available with no expense to taxpayers.

The Georgetown project, which previously served as military housing, will bring nearly 300 units of 100 percent affordable two-, three- and four-bedroom homes to Fairfield, with 90 percent of the units available for low-income individuals and families and the remaining 10 percent for very-low-income residents. Forty-eight of the units are earmarked for low-income veterans, who would receive supportive services on site.

These units would more than double the number of low- and very low-income units that the City of Fairfield has permitted in the last seven years, giving nearly a thousand community members a safe, affordable place to live.

Despite the desperate need for this project, many local elected officials remain tone deaf to the realities of their local housing crisis and oppose the project.  Georgetown could house nearly 1,000 of their constituents. These elected officials should show leadership and work with project supporters on solutions to make these affordable homes a reality.   

The affordable homes at Georgetown are already supported by a growing coalition of housing groups and community organizations, including Disabled American Veterans, Department of CA, California YIMBY, Napa-Solano Building & Construction Trades Council, the Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California, and others.

More information about the Georgetown Project is available at HousingForHundreds.Com.